I'm writing this blog on laptop battery power with candlelight in the background. It's a HOT (well warm) dark, rainy night in Maryland, and I have no electricity. We lost power sometime today - and I am not expecting it back super soon. Maybe in the next day or two - hopefully not longer than that... But in the meantime - I'm sitting here in my dark apartment. All windows are open - hoping to increase air circulation - it is currently 69 degrees with 88% humidity.
I realized that we didn't really have food we could eat without heating it up, and I was out of the big sized batteries as well - so we ventured out into the bad traffic to scourge up supplies. We finally found a Giant off the beaten path that was open. Actually - it didn't have power - but was running off it's generator. Most of the store was pretty dark - but there was enough light to sorta see what you were doing. We got our flashlights and batteries, some bread, bananas, cereal - and headed on.
Oh - shout out to Sprint! My cell phone was running very low on batteries - and so we stopped by the Sprint store to buy a car charger. They don't SELL car chargers for my phone. (RRRrrr). However, they did let me leave my phone there for about an hour and let it charge up! So - if you try to call me, and I don't answer (MOM) it is probably because I am trying to reserve my batteries! If Max and I still don't have power tomorrow we'll hike up to a friend's house and charge my phone and recharge my laptop...
Watching that storm, though - that was the craziest thing I have ever seen! Wow.
I got out my 72 hours kits that I put together 3 years ago... Oh - I am so embarrassed at how pathetic they are. My new goal will be to work on them. Especially since right this minute- we live on the 3rd floor - and if there WAS another tornado tonight - me and Max would have to leave - and right now - I don't even have anything put together...
2 comments:
OK, OK, I won't call! But I'm glad you wrote this blog so I won't worry about you. xox Mom
Yeah. I ventured up to Target at about 730 last night to buy a lantern (We had NO flashlights... but we had batteries). Then stopped by Taco Bell. We had a little picnic on the living room floor last night. It's amazing how insufficient you find your 72 hr kit when you actually have to USE it.
22 hours without power = Katie hates Maryland. This kinda crap doesn't happen in Vegas.
Post a Comment