Max is usually so good - so sweet, so gentle and loving. He shares his toys, he gives hugs and kisses and loves snuggling. But - when it comes down to him having to do something he doesn't want to do - like - going home, cleaning, going potty... Well - that is when the TEMPER comes on full force. And when I say full force - I mean a tyraid of anger! He hits, bites, throws things, etc. I have tried everything. Time out, talking, drinking fountain, stickers, bite back, more hugs, more time together, ignoring... (Of course - I have tried these over time - not all at once). I don't know who is having the harder time - me or him. But now his teacher is concerned. I just don't even know what to do. Today, he had yet another bad day at school - so - (as we discussed) his train table and trains are now off limit for the next week. He isn't really even that upset about it. He even helped me cover it up with a blanket. It is like a matter of fact... Yep - I can't play with trains tonight. What do I do?
Max and I are keeping busy! Check in often for updates... Leave us comments so we know you were here!
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
How can something so cute be so bad?
Max is usually so good - so sweet, so gentle and loving. He shares his toys, he gives hugs and kisses and loves snuggling. But - when it comes down to him having to do something he doesn't want to do - like - going home, cleaning, going potty... Well - that is when the TEMPER comes on full force. And when I say full force - I mean a tyraid of anger! He hits, bites, throws things, etc. I have tried everything. Time out, talking, drinking fountain, stickers, bite back, more hugs, more time together, ignoring... (Of course - I have tried these over time - not all at once). I don't know who is having the harder time - me or him. But now his teacher is concerned. I just don't even know what to do. Today, he had yet another bad day at school - so - (as we discussed) his train table and trains are now off limit for the next week. He isn't really even that upset about it. He even helped me cover it up with a blanket. It is like a matter of fact... Yep - I can't play with trains tonight. What do I do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A parenting expert who writes a column that I read farily often would say "stop talking and just pack all of those toys away until he starts behaving." He seems a little harsh to me sometimes but if your at the end of your rope...
Good luck, I'm sure that you will figure it out.
Okay I have a similar problem. We are always having to change discipline up. I have to say the best one is a spray bottle. I would spray her with water (like a cat) if she was throwing a tantrum. I think this worked the best. We also tried some of the techniques from the 'Happiest toddler on the block', these seemed to work also. Have you tried a good boy chart. I would rate my daughter each day and she was told if she was doing a good deed or a noddy deed, the magnet would move up and down the chart all day, but she knew if she went below a certain level she would not get a token to put in her good girl jar. The jar was small she could fill it in one week. If it was full she would get to pick out a toy at the dollar store.
It is so weird kids act to discipline. Going home is a difficult thing for us. So I try to have something fun in the car, like a snack or a favorite toy. But before we leave I get down to her level and say I know you had so much fun today here, but know we need to go and I know you don't want to, blah blah blah. ( this is from the Happiest toddler on the block)
Good luck
S
Post a Comment