Thursday, December 27, 2007

Yogaville (My Christmas)

So - I don't really have any family in the area, so after spending Christmas Eve with loved ones (to be discussed in future blog) - I went to Yogaville in Burtonsville, VA. I have never done anything like this before. I am not really a 'meditative' kind of person. I enjoy the occasional yogalatis class at the gym (these were quickly laughed off at the Ashrom) and I LOVE meat. Yes - give me some STEAK!

However, I wanted to get away from 'it all' - I wanted a change of pace, and I wanted to check it out. It was interesting. I enjoyed it. I found the vegetarian food to be very delicious (but I miss cheese!) and the people were great.

The hardest thing for me was the meditation part. Sitting quiet, clearing my mind of everything, not thinking of anything... Wow - I try to do that - and I remember that I didn't pay Max's tuition, then I wonder how Max is doing, then I wonder if I have missed any important phone calls since I can't get reception, what stupid things I did recently, then I remember I am supposed to be MEDITATING... So I go back... I clear my head. Then I think about a clear head. What was in it? I think about the trauma of the past few months, what got me to where I am now, then I start going in a million directions AGAIN... Not the point of meditation. But I am going to continue to work towards it.

I had lots of opportunities to walk, take in the beautiful nature, breath deeply. I hiked to the Lotus (see picture below)...

I really enjoyed the yoga part. Oh - and I got a Reiki (spelling anyone?) massage - which was weird - because they don't really massage your body - but send energy into it. I have to say - I felt better afterwards... I do still need a regular massage. Maybe this weekend I'll try to squeeze one in...


I loved the people there. On Christmas Day - the day I arrived - this family had an open house. Absolutely everybody was invited - so I went. Alone. I didn't know a soul. So odd. But this family - this society of people were so **beautiful**. At one point - the mother came up to me and said to me "You are only allowed to be a guest in our house once. After that you are family." The teenagers came up and introduced themselves to me and asked about how I ended up here on Christmas. I ended up sitting and talking with people for hours - leaving feeling like I had just left my own family party. I wonder, if somebody showed up to a party at my house - would they leave feeling that way?


Even though I don't think I could live that lifestyle 100% - I am so grateful to the people I met while there. They were all so full of love - love for others. They were so eager to make sure that my stay there was what I needed. They were so happy when they saw me smiling.

Writing this blog has really made me realize how beneficial that trip was. Thank you to all of my new friends at Yogaville for your influence in my life. It will not be disregarded, nor forgotten!

My biggest, most favorite quote/concept I got:

"The source of our sorrows comes from our sense of MINE" - (badly misqouted -but the idea was from H. H. Sri Swami Satchidananda). But it is so true. Things of this world are not OURS to have - and if we realize that - we will not be so sorrowful when they are taken away.

The goal I am going to try to take away from this experiecnce: I will not be sucked up into the MINUTIA of life.

One of the best parts of the trip was the beautiful drive home. Since I was alone, I could stop and enjoy the view - and I did. Here are a few of the pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a good Christmas, you mentioned something I worry about sometimes, how loving and welcoming am I? I really worries me sometimes, I think of myself as a Christian, I try to be like Jesus, but am I as loving and welcoming as He is?

Followers