Thursday, September 13, 2007

Strep throat and Allergic Reactions...

Well, the healthy streak has come to an end. Wednesday I got a call at work from daycare to let me know Max had a fever and I needed to come pick him up. I didn't rush over there as much as I should have, because, well, sometimes in the past, they would make me pick him up when he really wasn't very sick. But also I had to get everything cleaned up at work - since I knew I probably wouldn't be there the next day (because Max was sick...).

When I finally got to daycare, Max was curled up on his little cot while all of his classmates were running around outside. When he saw me, he just sorta blinked. He couldn't even sit up really. I carried him out to the car - he was so limp! We got home and I asked him if he wanted to lay on his bed or on the couch. He said 'my bed.' When I laid him in his bed, he said 'Mom - snuggle me.' So we just snuggled for a while.

I was trying to figure out what was wrong with him - and the only thing he complained about was his arm! That was a little alarming. Around 7:00 I decided that I wanted to have him seen - so I took him to Urgent Care. good thing I did - turns out he had strep! So the doctor and I had a long conversation about which antibiotic to put him on. He is allergic to penicillan... We finally settled on Cephalexin.

Well, Cephalexin started doing wonders. We had an emergency at work - and Max was doing so well, I just brought him in with me, and he colored and did puzzles on my office floor. It wasn't until he woke up from his nap that I noticed little bumps on his back. By the time we got to urgent care, they were on his legs and arms too. Turns out he is allergic to Cephalexin too.

So we switched his antibiotics, brought him home, gave him some benedryl (the hives are still getting worse!) and put him to bed.

Other than that - things are going really well for us. I continue to run as often as I can. Max and I keep working on our art projects. We continue to plan fun adventures - we are going to ride on Thomas the Train next weekend! yeah!

Sorry for the long, boring post - but had to tell somebody!

No comments:

Followers