Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Horrible, Awful, Not Very Good Day - but it ended OK!

So this morning I woke up with my usual long list of things to do... Lots of stuff going on at work - LOTS. Plus I was going to go on a walk at lunch with some coworkers to a nearby neighborhood to enjoy the cherry blossoms, hit up a 1:00 meeting, then run over for a quick filling at the dentist. All plans were thrown to the side when the dentist office called and had to reschedule me from 2:00 to "as soon as you can get here would be really great." They promised to have me back at work for my 1:00 pm meeting without a problem.

Well - turns out there was a problem. My tooth had gotten so bad - that just giving me the shots put me into panic attack. Finally - we got me numbed up, started drilling, and half-way through - the novicaine had worn off. We had to do more injections! And a third time! By now - we were way past the making it to my 1:00 pm meeting. Once everything was packed back in, my dentist explained to me that somehow this tooth had gone from 'not a problem' to 'BIG PROBLEM' in less than a year - and I was going to need a root canal sometime in the next two weeks. He told me to call in and make an appointment with the specialist. I was on my way out - having paid way too much for the whole painful procedure.

Driving back to the office I was singing in my car when BOOM - the PAIN!!!! Oh my goodness! I about swerved off the road! I called the dentist back, in tears from the pain - and told them something was wrong! They scheduled that root canal appointment for today - and next I had to scramble to close up my computer out of work, figure out who could pick up Max from school (there is no way I would make it back to Gaithersburg by 6:00) and get myself up to Frederick for a root canal. Meanwhile, I was in so much pain - and talking made it worse. (Keep in mind I was still totally numbed up from all the novicaine!!!)

I finally got things all figured out, and found myself sitting in a doctors chair in Frederick, MD, tears streaming down my face as once again - needles are being shoved in all over my mouth. Eventually, I just sorta fell asleep as they excavated my tooth and filled it with a temporary filling.

The good news is that the tooth was NOT infected, that I made it back to pick up Max from my friends house around 6:45, and that I have enough pain medicine to help me not feel dental pain for the next few days... Now - if only I hadn't had to pay out over $450 for today's services - plus who knows how much for the crown that will have to go in next month... Thank goodness I have dental insurance!

On other news - I had a GREAT vacation to San Antonio last weekend. I will try to post some of those pictures later - but it probably won't be tonight.

Also - the painting project is going really well. We are planning on having our booth set up at the Reston Center begining the second weekend in May. You can check out a small sampling of my paintings at www.paintingmom.com.

2 comments:

Bob Blandeburgo said...

Wait, you were in Frederick and didn't stop by to say hi to your friends?! ;)

Kidding, of course and it sounds like you had a bad day. I'm impressed how you manage to end on a positive angle , though. It really is inspirational.

Glad to hear you didn't wreck when that pain hit.

Katz said...

good grief, lady. i'm sorry you had such a bad day.

Followers