When I was younger, I played the violin. In fact - I was even a music major for the first two years of my college career. One day towards the end of my sophmore year I realized that I didn't want to spend my days teaching Jr. High Orchestra - and that I was never going to be good enough as a violinist to really support myself doing that. So I changed majors, switched schools - and ended up with a psychology/statistics degree instead. For a while I would play my violin or viola for local things, or at church. A wedding here or there - nothing big. But once I had my son I have not had time to pick up my violin.
I tell you this background about myself because this weekend made me miss those old music days - and regret having gotten so far from the musical part of my life. Friday night I was able to catch the closing of Lowen and Navarro and was floored by their pure love for playing music. Watching them sing, bringing the crowd into the performance, you couldn't help but FEELING the music. FEELING their passion for life - the good, the bad - all the things that go on. It was even more touching since Eric Lowen has ALS and is slowly dying. Despite the setbacks of this disease - he continues to tour and put out music because he loves it.
Saturday night I had the opportunity to see another band play Jelly Roll Mortals- at Austin Grill in Rockville, MD. It was great! The music made me laugh - it didn't make me cry... I sang along at times. The best part about it though - was watching how much fun the musicians were having. You could just tell they enjoyed making music together. I got to chat with one of the band members during one of the breaks and he mentioned that he had to have a regular job to pay the bills - but his music was what kept his soul alive.
Before dropping in on the Lowen and Navarrow show on Friday night - I got to watch a play an old friend of mine starred in - "F.U. (Forgive Us...what'd you think we meant)". and it was the same thing - people performing art because they love it (and in this case - because they wanted to impose their knowledge on us (it was funny show - I enjoyed it)). I had such a great evening because I was able to be around people who did things because they LOVED doing it. It was the passion thing - they had a passion for theatre, or music - or whatever. I am so grateful that those talented people are willing to put in the hours of time they do to share their talent with me. I appreciate it - and think the world is a better place because of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment