One of the most gratifying parts of rock climbing is getting to the top. At times, I was in the middle of a climb, and I didn't see where my next step would be. From where I clung, the face of the rock looked sheer, and there was no way I could get to the top. I just wanted to le
an back and be lowered back down. But I found that if I looked a little harder, or asked somebody on the ground for a tip, that I could find a little tiny piece of rock sticking out - just big enough for my toe to cling on so that I could move up to the next perch. When you get to the top after feeling like you wouldn't be able to make it, but perservering, and getting to the top - well, it feels good.
While we were climbing, Mr. Carderock himself - the guru climber who mapped out most of the climbs at Carderock came sauntering out. He is an older man, probably in his late 60s or older. He walked past the dozens of climbers with all of their expensive gear, the experienced climbers who were struggling to conquer a difficult overhang, or a tricky climb - and he just started climbing. He made it look so easy! He didn't use ropes or anything - he didn't break a sweat - it was child's play for him! He began talking to some of the people in our group. Bryce- one of the guys in our group, was struggling trying to get up a tricky part of the wall. He began coaching him. One piece of advice really stuck. He said to avoid big steps - they throw your center of balance off too much. Instead, make smaller moves. Sometimes you will find a little indentation - not something big enough to hold you for very long - but just long enough to hold you until you get to the next crevice.
I think right now in my life, I am in one of those spots where I can't see my next step. I see the
goal above me, and it seems so far above me. I hear guides telling me there is a bump in the rock to the left of my foot, or a crack for my fingers a few inches away... But I am hanging onto the side of the mountain for dear life - fearing that any move I make will result in me tumbling to the bottom. But I need to keep Mr. Carderock's advice in my head. Take small steps. Sometimes plant yourself in a spot that won't hold for very long, but know that it's purpose is to move you closer to your end goal.
Maybe the most important lesson I learned from climbing today is that even if you fall, you can still get right back on that mountain and try, try again.
1 comment:
That looked like so much fun. I'm jealous! And you are so darn deep-so philosophical. Very impressive!
Just remember that wherever you are or what you are going through, your friends will always be there!
Post a Comment